Saturday, April 5, 2014

E-mail…More Productive Things to do than to Check…Yet Again

Sometimes I check my e-mail…for the umpteenth time of the day, out of boredom or just for something to do. I’ve tried to become more conscious of how I spend my time, and I’ve found that when I have “something” in mind to do, rather than a mindless task (like checking e-mail), I’m more likely to spend that time productively.


Here are some things to do besides checking e-mail... yet again.

  • Read the chapter of Proverbs that corresponds to the date (today, for example, I’ll read Proverbs 5)
  • Clear out the dishwasher and wipe down the counters
  • Say a prayer for someone you’re concerned about (I keep a prayer journal so I can easily see who I’m concerned about, and why)
  • Clear off the bathroom counter and wipe it down, as well as the mirror
  • Find, address and write a note in an encouraging card for a friend going through a hard time
  • Call my mom for a quick chat
  • Take the dog for a quick walk
  • Lift weights or do a quick cardio workout (a few minutes of exercise several times a day has been found to be just as effective as an extended time of exercise)
  • Update your monthly or weekly calendar
  • Page through a new magazine and enjoy a piece (or two or three!) of chocolate


What will YOU do today instead of checking e-mail…yet again?

I’m also blogging the A to Z Challenge at www.nebraskafamilytimes.blogspot.com
Today’s post is titled “Every Thought” and based on 2 Corinthians 10:5b

8 comments:

  1. So true. For the very same reason i quit the most popular messenger wassup. I was so obsessed of checking msgs and notifications. Retiring with a magazine is my fav let your hair down activity with a hot of hot cardomom tea.

    ---
    PS: Our post on E for Epidural - Yes or No ?
    http://sinhasat302.blogspot.in/2014/04/5-epidural-in-labour-yes-or-no.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checking too much is an easy habit to get in to! Hot tea sounds like a treat. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  2. More than checking email, I have a bad habit of getting sucked in by the computer! I can waste more time just sitting and surfing. Your list of other things to do is very relevant to my days too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I don't pay attention I can spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to find something to watch on TV... I try to have a mental list of things to do so I do NOT waste time. Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear yah, I am always checking my emails. It's kind of like the fridge, I know there's nothing interesting in there yet it doesn't stop me from checking it now and then in case something positively yummy magically appears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In case the refrigerator fairies came and filled it... Thanks for your fun comment!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!