Thursday, April 3, 2014

Chapters--my Favorite in the Bible
by Shelly Burke


Yesterday I shared my favorite verses in the Bible, and today I'm sharing my favorite chapters of the Bible. Many verses in the Bible are "stand alone", but it's also important to take them in the context of the verses around them. When reading these chapters throughout the years, I've gradually underlined more and more of them. I often put the date by my daily Bible readings and jot down my thoughts about the reading as well as what's going on in my life. As I shared yesterday, I'm awed by the way Bible readings, written thousands of years ago, apply to the happenings in my life. 

  • Genesis 6-9 (OK, I know that's more than one chapter!) The narrative (our pastor calls them "narratives" because "story" implies fiction, and the Bible is not fiction!) of Noah takes my emotions from sadness (that the earth has so quickly become so corrupt), to fear (for the unbelievers who will die, and for Noah and his family, living through the flood), to joy (in God's promise, symbolized by the rainbow). To read my review of the movie "Noah", click here Review of "Noah."
  • Genesis 45 In this chapter Joseph forgives his brothers for selling him into slavery many years earlier, and he cries as he forgives them and promises to provide for them and their families.
  • Joshua 1 God's words to Joshua, as he prepares to lead the Israelites into the promised land after Moses' death, give me courage when I am facing something that seems too much for me (and if God gave Joshua the ability to lead 2 or 3 million people into an unknown land, I think He can equip me to do almost anything He calls me to do!)
  • Proverbs 4 Full of "wise instruction" in almost every area of life. 
  • Luke 2 This most-read narrative of the Nativity never fails to bring tears to my eyes! 
  • John 3 Along with the beautiful words of John 3:16, read the other words of Jesus in this chapter, along with the unmistakable promise of eternal life for all who believe. 
  • Romans 8 Comforting, encouraging, inspiring words about life in the Holy Spirit. 
Read one of these chapters and let me know what you think! What is YOUR favorite chapter of the Bible? 
----------------------------------------------------
I'm also blogging at Nebraska Family Times.  Today's entry, "Comfort".  

2 comments:

Thank you for commenting!